NEWTON, Mass. – Mount Ida College faced a red-hot Johnson & Wales women's tennis team for their Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) opener on Saturday afternoon, and fell 9-0 to the undefeated Wildcats at Mount Ida Courts.
Rebecca Levy (Plymouth, Mass.) put up quite a fight at second singles, falling to Nina Cohen by a 7-5, 6-3 margin, but the Mustangs were already in a hole, having defaulted on the final doubles and singles matches, and dropping both the number one doubles, with Levy and Jenna Jarman (Auburn, N.Y.) falling to Taylor Klein (Johnson, NY) and Lauren Torre (New Fairfield, Conn.) by an 8-4 score, and number two doubles, where Amanda Garner (Coventry, R.I.) and Katlyn Jesse (Marshfield, Mass.) were blanked by the tandem of Victoria Pizzulo (Lafayette, NJ) and Holly Olson (Mukwongago, Wisc.).
Needing only one singles victory to capture the team win, JWU got it from Delaney Macchirole (Greenport, NY) at number five as she beat Yuliana Chairez (Waltham, Mass.), 6-0, 6-1. Ashley Hartford (Howell, Mich.) was a 6-0, 6-0 winner at number four and Luiza Silva Simoes (Cuiaba, Brazil) prevailed at number three, 6-1, 6-1 for JWU.
Mount Ida stays in the conference next Saturday with a 12 pm match at Anna Maria.
The Wildcats continue GNAC action on Friday when they face St. Joseph (CT) at 3:30 p.m.
Johnson & Wales 9, Mount Ida 0
1. Morgan Thompson (JWU) def. Jenna Jarman (MIC) 6-0, 6-2
2. Nina Cohen (JWU) def. Rebecca Levy (MIC) 7-5, 6-3
3. Luiza Silva Simoes (JWU) def. Katlyn Jesse (MIC) 6-1, 6-1
4. Ashley Hartford (JWU) def. Amanda Garner (MIC) 6-0, 6-0
5. Delaney Macchirole (JWU) def. Yuliana Chairez (MIC) 6-0, 6-1
6. Taylor Klein (JWU) win by default
3. Morgan Thompspon/Nina Cohen (JWU) win by default
Johnson & Wales 5-0, 1-0 GNAC
Mount Ida: 0-5, 0-1 GNAC
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (6,5,3,4,1,2)